Sunday, February 15, 2009

Canadian Atheist Bus Campaign Expanding

The Freethought Association of Canada started running the following bus adds in Toronto and Calgary earlier this month and plan on expanding their campaign to Ottawa next.



If you would like to donate to the ad campaign please visit their website.

First off I would like to applaud the Calgary, Toronto and Ottawa transit authorities for allowing the Freethought Association of Canada to run these adds. They did not let the fear of religious protests of their systems scare them away from allowing free speech to continue.

The one issue I have with these adds are that they are being run on government owned and operated busses, subways and streetcars. I am somewhat conflicted about this because if there were a pro-theism adds being run on a government owned property I would be strongly opposed to it due to my belief in separation between church and state. While I love that this add campaign is going on and that people are doing something to get the freethought message out there I do wish that they would not utilize government owned property to do so.

No comments: